Ube Halaya is a Filipino dessert made from a boiled ube or purple yam. This dessert dish is also used in pastries, ice cream and in halo-halo (Philippines dessert with mixture of shaved ice). Optional toppings includes brown latik (fried coconut cream) or grated cheese.
- 1 kilogram ube (purple yam)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 2 small can (28 oz) condensed milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- In a bowl, heat 4 cups of water and boil the ube for 30 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Peel and grate ube. Set aside.
- Heat the pan in a medium and add the coconut milk, condensed milk and vanilla. Stir well.
- Lower the heat and add the grated ube. Stir regularly for 30 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- Pour the evaporated milk, stir and let it cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture in a baking dish or llanera mold. Refrigerate and let it cool.
To make it sweeten, sprinkle sugar on top of ube halaya before refrigerating it.
Instead of grating the ube, chop it and use blender.
Try and enjoy this Ube Halaya Recipe (Purple Yam Cake). Let me know what you think.