Beef Kare-Kare (Filipino Oxtail Stew) Recipe
- ½ kg beef tender cut from sirloin or round, cut into chunk cubes
- 2 pcs oxtail
- 2 pig hocks
- 7 cups water
- Salt and pepper pinch
- ½ cup oil
- 4 tbsp atsuete oil
- 2 heads garlic minced
- 2 medium sized onions diced
- ½ cup bagoong alamang
- 3 cups ground nuts 4 cups of peanut butter
- ¼ cup ground toasted rice
- 5 pcs eggplant sliced into rings
- 1 banana bud cut to almost proportional to eggplant slices, blanch in boiling water
- 1 bundle sitaw (string beans) cut to 2" long
- In a casserole, boil oxtail, hocks, beef. Lower fire and let simmer until all meat is tender and cooked.
- Remove all scum that rises to the surface.
- Take out the meat, set aside, keep stock for later.
- In another casserole, heat oil and atsuete oil and saute garlic, onion and bagoong alamang and toasted rice and nuts (if using nuts)
- Add oxtail, hocks and beef, pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper and add peanut butter (if using peanut butter)
- Simmer until all flavors are incorporated, then add the vegetables. Make sure vegetables is well cooked and not soggy.
- Serve hot with bagoong with calamansi and chili pepper.