Bulalo (Philippines Beef Bone Marrow Stew) is a native dish to the Southern Luzon Region of the Philippines particularly in the provinces of Batangas and Cavite. I should say that this is every Filipinos comfort food, its main ingredients are bone marrow and beef shanks.
The best hangover soup! Also one of the best to eat on cold days and nights. The soup will surely warm you up like your in front of a bonfire. It might take a lot of time to cook, but its worth the wait. You can also add in corn on the cob and cabbage for extra flavor.
Try our Bulalo Recipe and let us know what you think. Enjoy!
- 1 kg beef shank chopped for serving pieces with the bone & marrow
- 1 big onion diced
- 4 stalks onion leeks chopped
- ¼ cup dried banana blossom
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Patis fish sauce
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 pcs calamansi
- 2 pcs hot chili pepper
- Boil beef shank and throw away the water.
- Boil beef shank once again in medium heat for about 2 hours or until beef is tender and broth is flavorful.
- Add water if necessary.
- Add the onions, leeks and banana buds. Season with salt & pepper and patis.
- Serve hot with soy sauce, calamansi, and hot chili pepper.