Deep fried crispy goodness! This is a great drinking food for all you drinkers out there! Not into drinking? No problem. This is also a celebration food, good for all ages. Just don’t forget the soy with calamansi, and chilli for dipping.
Try our Crispy Pata (Filipino Fried Pork Hock) Recipe and let us know what you think. Enjoy!
Crispy Pata (Filipino Fried Pork Hock) Recipe
- 1 kg pork pata front leg
- 1 bottle 7 up or sprite soft drink
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vetsin MSG
- 2 tbsp patis fish sauce
- 2 tbsp flour oil for frying
- Clean pata and slit skin (3-4 slits on both sides) without cutting bone. Place in a deep pan with a tight cover. Add water, 7 Up and salt. Bring to a boil.
- After 15 minutes, add baking soda. Baking soda will hasten the softening of the pata's skin. Continue cooking. If water dries up and pata is not yet done, add another cup of water. Meat should not be too tender. Drain when done. Hang for 1 day or place in refrigerator overnight to make skin dry.
- Before frying, brush with patis and sprinkle with flour generously. Deep fry until crispy and golden brown.
- Put off the heat and pour 1/4 cup water. This will make the skin more crispy.
Serve with this sauce:
- Vinegar with 2 cloves garlic (crushed), a little salt, pepper and 1 small hot pepper (siling labuyo).