Christmas is just around the corner. If you intend to hang your gingerbread figures from the Christmas tree in the traditional way, take a skewer and make a little hole in the top of each figure before baking. When the cookies are baked and cooled, thread a narrow ribbon through each hole and hang on you Christmas tree.
Gingerbread Biscuit Recipe
- 125 g brown sugar
- 125 black treacle
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 90 g butter
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 500 g flour sifted
- 1 pc egg lightly beaten
- 250 g glace icing
- Dissolve the sugar with treacle, spices and butter in heavy based pan over a low heat, then slowly and carefully bring the mixture to the boil.
- Cool the mixture to a room temperature, then mix in the baking powder.place the flour in a bowl with a pinch of salt and make a well in the center.
- Pour in the cooled mixture and the egg and stir from the center to incorporate the flour.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and knead, then weep in grease proof paper and leave in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Take out the dough and roll out to about 3 mm thick.
- Using assorted cutters, stamp out people, animals, trees, etc. and place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated 170 ° Celsius oven for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Finish the gingerbread men by piping glace icing round outlines and fill in noses, mouths, eyes, hats and buttons with glace icing.