Our Featured Kusinerong Pinoy Hails from Baguio City, combining his passion in art and craft in cooking makes like you are dining in a 5 star restaurant at the comfort of your house. Here is a quick interview with Mr. Rafael Delos Santos, our Kusinerong Pinoy/Artist.
1. WHEN DID YOU START TO REALIZE THAT YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR COOKING?
- It started when I was young. Both of my parents loves to cook. So I guess I got my love for food and cooking from them. Also, since they have to work, we kind of got used to cook for ourselves when they’re not around.
2. 5 REASON WHY YOU LOVE COOKING?
- Cooking makes me happy. It’s fulfilling. I love seeing the people who eat my food enjoy what i serve them.
- It’s a way to express myself. It’s a form of art. I am a painter so I love doing plating and also being able to create something or replicate i ate somewhere.
- Cooking has been some sort of a therapy specially during this lock down. Must say cooking kept me sane.
- Cooking is a learning experience. I see it way to practice and develop my craft. Almost everything i know i got from my parent’s technique or self taught from YouTube or vlogs. Since I do intend to build a business out of cooking, each time i cook is also time for me to try new things and experiment.
- Finally, I just love to eat. So for me to eat i need to love cooking.
3. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DISH TO COOK?
- I love seafood. My favorite is seafood kare-kare. Its a crowd pleaser whenever i cook it for special occasions. I was inspired my Chef Claude Tayag’s recipe that was featured in Kapuso mo Jessica Soho.
4. DO YOU HAVE ANY PLANS ON GETTING INTO THE FOOD INDUSTRY? IF SO, WHAT TYPE OF CUISINE WILL YOU OFFER?
- Yes! Definitely Filipino cuisine!
5. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO ASPIRING INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE JUST STARTING IN COOKING?
- Just go for it. Whether your cooking for yourself or for someone special you have to love what your doing. And dont be afraid to make mistakes. Whenever i experiment on dishes it usually doesn’t turn good, haha. It’s part of the process. Fan Fact: I still cant do a very good adobo ask me to make lasagna, caldereta, kare-kare or anything. But Adobo is my Achilles’ Heel.