Pork Igado is a popular Ilocano dish made from pork belly, liver and heart. The meat and vegetables were cut into strips and simmered. Hope you’ll like it and enjoy the lutong bahay recipe with your family.
Pork Igado Recipe
Pork Igado is a popular Ilocano dish made from pork belly, liver and heart. The meat and vegetables were cut into strips and simmered.
- ½ kg pork belly strip cut
- ¼ kg pork liver strip cut
- ¼ kg pork heart strip cut
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 pc potato strip cut
- 1 pc carrot strip cut
- 1 pc red bell pepper strip cut
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 pcs onion chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce patis
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small can liver spread reno
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 3 pcs dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp annatto oil or powder 1 tbsp tomato sauce for coloring
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 can pineapple juice Del Monte
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- In a bowl, combine belly, liver, heart together with pineapple juice, ground pepper and garlic. Mix it well.
- Let it sit for 2 hours or until the sauce are well drained in the fridge.
- In a pan, saute minced garlic and chopped onion. Once slightly browned, add the marinated meat. Mix well.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Mix well and simmer again for 40 minutes or till tender between low to medium heat.
- Bring heat to medium then add ground pepper, liver spread, fish sauce. Mix well.
- Add vinegar (Don’t mix) and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and bay leaves. Simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add the green peas, bell pepper and mix countinously for 2 more minutes.
- Serve while it’s hot.
If annatto oil/powder is not available, you can use 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce.