Pork Menudo – this dish was influenced by Spaniards, the popular dish is also well known in the Visayas, in Cebu they called this dish as Ginamay(chopped into smaller pieces). Menudo has also a Mexican version which the only difference to Filipino Menudo is Mexican uses Tripe and white hominy while Pinoy menudo uses cubed or chopped pork.
Pork Menudo Recipe
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ kg pork belly cubed
- ¼ kg pork liver sliced
- 2 pcs small carrots roll cut
- 3 pcs potato diced
- 3 pcs hotdog diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce patis
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup water
- 5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 pc red and green bell pepper chopped
- 20-25 pcs dried raisins
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 pcs calamansi
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Marinate liver, soy, calamansi and pepper
- In a pan, heat oil. Add potatoes and carrots. Once cooked and browned, set a side.
- In the same pan, fry the hotdog and once cooked, set aside.
- In the same pan, saute minced onion and garlic. Once the garlic slightly browed, add the chopped onions.
- Since the chopped onion is soft and translucent, we can now add the pork followed by fish sauce, bay leaves and ground pepper.
- Cover with lid and let it boil. Mix and add water then simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the meat is ready and tender, you can now add the marinated pork liver. Mix well.
- Add the sugar and tomato sauce. Mix it well then let’s simmer for 6 more minutes. Enough time to cook the liver.
- Now add the potatoes, carrots, hotdogs, bell pepper and raisins. Mix it well. Let it cook for 3 minutes. Serve while hot.