Tired of the classic chocolate cupcakes? Want something with more color? This red velvet cupcake is just for you! Perfect for the family, and also perfect to satisfy any sweet tooth craving.
This red velvet cupcake is what I recommend. The ingredients and instructions are down below.
Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
- 1 ⅛ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tbsp baking soda
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 pc egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar powder
- ¼ tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 ° Celsius and line a regular size cupcake pan with cupcake liner.
- In a small bowl, measure out flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder, mix thoroughly with a whisk. Set aside.
- Measure out the buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla extract and red food coloring in a bowl and beat with a whisk. Combine.
- Slowly pour the flour mixture into the liquid mixture while slowly whisking. Mix only until combine, scrape any flour on the side of the bowl and mix up anything at the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide batter equally among 12 to 14 cups. (Depends on the cup size)
- Bake for 18 minutes until an inserted toothpick in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and let it cool.
- Leave the cream cheese and butter out on the counter for a few hours until they reach right temperature and are softened. Cream the cream cheese and butter together with a mixer until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add powder sugar and mix.
- Scrape the side and bottom of the mixing bowl as necessary.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with the star tip, top cupcakes with frosting. For garnish, crumble up a single cupcake and generously top the frosted cupcakes with crumbs.
- I find that the cupcakes are done baking at around the 17 minute mark. Careful not to over-bake!
- I make the cupcake batter using just a hand whisk. You can use an electric mixer as well, just be sure to not over mix the batter.
- Best enjoy within 1 to 3 days, but you can store cupcakes in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Let cupcakes come to right temperature before serving.